Tuesday, September 27, 2011

11 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School


Over the past few months, our campus has been buzzing about the "ME" Generation. I did a little bit of research on my own.  One anecdote that I found in my research has been haunting me - it was about a nurse who recently graduated from college.  She had administered the wrong meds to a critically ill patient, and luckily, her supervisor noticed.  The head nurse took her aside and scolded her, citing the very real possibility of killing the patient. The graduate's response was to correct the supervisor - she said: you should have commended me positively before saying anything negative about my performance.

I immediately needed someone to help me pull my jaw off the floor.  I thought: Is she SERIOUS? How could this young nurse take this giant mistake as lightly as making a wrong turn on the highway?  Is this the general consensus of college students?  Do they all need a massive wake-up call?

Then someone posted on facebook 11 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School. As I researched the origin of the list, I found that it was from a book by Charles J. Sykes, author of the 2007 book, 50 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School: Real-World Antidotes to Feel-Good Education.  As I read through the table of contents, the mentality of the "Me" Generation became clear.  I've fashioned the most quoted 11 Rules into a poster, a reminder to parents and students alike, that the real world isn't going to commend your performance if you accidentally kill a patient.


No comments: