Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Country Fried Potatoes

This recipe, ever so simple, has been passed to me by my grandmother, and I include it as my favorite recipe. I'll NEVER make it like she did, but I'm still trying!

Ingredients:
- 4 Medium Sized Russet Potatoes
- 5 tbsp Shortening
- 2 pinches of Salt and pepper
- 1 pinch of garlic powder
- 1 pinch of paprika

Kitchen:
- Large Skillet with a lid (don't use non-stick)
- Large spatula
- Large Mixing bowl with ice water

Directions:
Peel and cut potatoes in half, length-wise. Slice 1/4" slices width-wise and blanch in ice water for 5-10 min.

Heat Shortening in skillet over medium to medium high heat.

Drain potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Toss with salt, pepper and spices until combined. Put enough potatoes in the skillet to cover the bottom of the pan, no more. Cover for 1 min, turn with spatula. Repeat covering, turning, until the potatoes are golden brown.

Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Continue until all of the potatoes are done.

No comments: